- Top performance: The Asus FX520Vm gaming laptops offer best gaming performance due to its high-end i7-7700HQ processor and 16GB DDR4 RAM. The addition of dual storage and more specifically the M.2 SSD puts its performance at par with the gaming world’s best laptops.
- Great graphics: GeForce GTX 10xx series of graphics cards are recognized for their high-quality graphics and smooth gaming experience. Besides, FX520VM does not come with any other card but 1060. It is just a step lower than the market leader 1080. It will not be a surprise to find some models of this gamer friendly machine sporting 1080.
- Lifetime customer support: On top of the standard one year warranty on laptops, XOTIC promises a lifetime support for its product. Well, if you are going to spend over $1,000 on a machine it is reassuring to know the manufacturer is willing to meet you halfway all through its lifespan.
- Pricey: Depending on the features, the price of the FX520VM series of gaming laptops ranges between $1,100 and $1,500. You can opt for other top gaming laptops under $1,000 and still find ones with nearly the same performance and graphics quality. Alternatively, you can wait for a few months and watch the price fall as other competing laptops come to the market.
- Poor color coverage: It appears that low-cost models of the FX520VM come with low-quality TN panels. Consequently, the cool coverage quality is diminished to about 57 percent of the sRGB standard. The imperfect coverage leads to a more inaccurate color rendition at high saturation levels. The only redeeming quality of these display panels is its top quality color and grayscale balance. However, it also means no end-user calibration can improve the display.
- Low battery life: Some models of the FX520VM such as the AS73 notebook consumes up to 15 W while in idling modes. It skyrockets to slightly above 100W during 3D gaming. As a result, the 64Wh battery can only last a maximum of 4 to 5 hours. This is significantly lower than other gaming laptops in this category. The high power consumption level by the FX520VM is most likely the result of performance or software tweak by the reseller.
I award the FX520VM gaming laptop a 5-star rating as it excels where it matters most. It offers the best performance, graphics, and speeds for HD and 3D gaming. It is the best choice for gamers who wish to experience the exceptionally high speed offered by an em dot two solid state drive. These performance features make the resulting short battery life acceptable.
However, there seems to be no solution to the poor color quality except wait for the manufacturer to start using quality panels as in all the other parts of this exceptional gaming laptop. Otherwise, a $100 price cut will for the time being pacify gamers who find the imperfect color scheme annoying.
XOTIC Asus FX520VM Gaming Laptop
When purchasing a gaming computer, performance, graphics, speed, and memory are the core considerations. Cost and portability may also be an issue for those who are on a budget and have not made up their minds on whether to go for a desktop or laptop. Generally, gaming laptops are more portable but are not as powerful as desktop gaming PCs.
It is still possible, however, to find a powerful laptop for all your gaming needs. The latest high-performance gaming laptop in the market is the XOTIC Asus FX502VM series. We review its most significant features to determine if it is worth the $1,000+ price tag.
XOTIC Asus FX520VM comes with a quality jet black casing with rigid hinges and a strong base. Critics and users pointed out that the lids were too flexible. The latest FX520Vm have been redesigned with less delicate lids. Like other super designed laptops, this one is not marred with unintended gaps and protruding edges.
It features a 15.6 inch full HD matte screen with a resolution of 1920×1080. The matte screen diffuses ambient light instead of reflecting it to the viewer. This leads to antiglare properties and improved visibility even in places of strong direct sunlight.
Additionally, the Asus FX520VM comes with a backlit chicklet keyboard with highlighted WASD keys.
XOTIC Asus FX502VM comes with the latest generation of Intel i7-7700HQ Quad-core processor. It is the most recent processor in the market today. It comes with a base 2.8GHz speed. Intel’s Turbo Technology boosts the speed to 3.8GHz for CPU-intensive games and programs. It also comes with Intel HD 630 graphics which is one of the best graphics for laptops that do not have a dedicated graphics processing unit, GPU.
The processor incorporates Intel Threading technology which determines the number of tasks each core can handle simultaneously. I7-7000HQ comes with 8 threads enabling each of the cores to handle two threads or tasks at an instance. Consequently, XOTIC Asus FX502VM offers high-end multitasking experience without sacrificing speed and quality.
Awesome Storage Memory Access Speeds
XOTIC Asus FX502VM gaming laptops have the standard 54000 rpm 1 terabyte hard disk drive. The HDD is known for its slow speed. Like all committed manufacturers, XOTIC has added an M.2 SSD storage volume. M.2 (read as “em dot two”) is a small-form-factor, SFF connector that is gaining use in the market as a replacement for mini PCIe and mSATA slots used in laptops.
The speed delivered by this new technology is mind-blowing. While most laptop gamers found no problems with SATA’s 600mBps, M.2 SSD delivers a 2GBps. Yeah, you read it right, and it is nearly four times faster than SATA. Consequently, the start-up, programming loading, and memory read and write times are significantly short. The integration of a 16GB DDR4 RAM makes the XOTIC Asus FX502VM one of the best gaming laptops in the market today.
Different XOTIC Asus FX502VM models come with different sizes of the M.2 SSD. The base model has a 128GB. The top model comes with a 1Tb M.2 SSD. You can as well buy the base model and upgrade.
XOTIC Asus FX502VM feature the high-end NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB DDDR5 graphics card. It is among the top-notch performance graphic cards in NVidia collection and in the market. GDDR5 is the graphics memory of choice for the latest GPU generations. It is only rivalled by the superior but limited GDDR5X, and AMD’s High-Bandwidth Memory, HBM. Consequently, this gaming laptop offers smooth HD and 3D gaming.
It is worth adding that the high-end features of this gaming laptop make it virtual reality ready.
Connectivity and Communications
There are three USB 3.0 ports on the XOTIC Asus FX520VM, a HDMI 1.4 port, and an RJ45 LAN Ethernet jack. It also has the standard headphone and microphone jacks and card reader (SD/MMC) slots. Hardcore gamers will feel the impact of the omission of the USB type C. However, the majority will not find the omission worth fussing over.
The FX520VM comes with Intel’s 8260 WLAN (dual band 802.11 ac) + Bluetooth 4.0 module. Depending on the model, you can achieve up to 1GBps LAN speeds.
The FX520VM comes with 4-cell lithium-ion batteries that have a rating of 48Whrs and 64Whrs ratings based on the model. During the intensive, the laptop consumes approximately 15W per hour. Therefore, it can last up to 4 to 5 hours during moderate workload. Power consumption in idling modes is surprisingly high.
FX520VM’s cooling system consists of two heat pipes and twin fans. The fans are always running irrespective of the load level. Tests reveal a consistent but quiet fan humming during idling. The fans become significantly louder under gaming loads. However, the noise levels are still lower than gaming laptops with similar performance levels.
The FX520VM has a very efficient cooling system. Like most quality gaming laptops, it has warmer quadrants that are far from the keyboard and palm rests. Therefore, it remains comfortable irrespective of the level of load.