- Good value. For the asking price, the iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop PC PC AM8140A is a decent "bang for your buck" gaming computer. It is at least a better value than some computers I have seen of a comparable price. You should not expect to get TOO much out of this, but games with a lower level of intensity to them should be fine.
- Can't play all games. It is a good desktop gaming computer if you only want it for general use and a few select games.
- Storage space. It has a lot of storage space thanks to its 1TB hard drive, allowing you to install and play many video games without worrying too much about space.
While it is a serviceable gaming computer, and better than some others, it unfortunately still has some problems.
- No DVD drive. Its lack of a DVD drive holds it back
- Casing. The casing for the computer itself is pretty ugly
- Games freezing. The performance is usually fine, but more than a few times I have experienced games freezing on this computer. It is not an endemic issue with the iBUYPOWER PC AM8140A Gaming Desktop PC, but it is not an issue I want to have to worry about happening.
- Can be loud. The computer is not a quiet one when I am playing a game, which can make it a distracting experience.
When all is said and done, you can certainly do a lot worse than going with the iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop PC PC AM8140A. For the affordable price, it can play a decent selection of popular games, and for the most part, it can play them well. The major downside for this computer however is that it does has its fair share of faults. It is loud, it can run into unfortunate crashes, and it lacks a DVD drive. Oh, and it just does not look very good at all.
These do not make it a "trash computer" by any means, but they definitely make it harder for me to recommend it to most people. While there are worse gaming computers for the same price, there are also some better ones at that price. I did not regret my time with the iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop PC PC AM8140A, but I would recommend people to at least look at what options they have available to them when making the decision to buy the iBUYPOWER PC AM8140A Gaming Desktop PC.
iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop PC AM8140A AMD FX 6300 6-Core 3.5 GHz
While shopping for a gaming computer, you may run into some problems. The one I see the most is confusion and doubt. Among people who are getting into gaming computers, at least.
You have to factor in how much you can spend, how much power you need, and what kind of power you need. No computer is going to be one size fits all, so it’s not a decision that you can take lightly.
Are you looking to play the newest games around? Are you getting a gaming PC because you want to catch up on the PC gaming library of yesteryear? Or do you want to play a single game that all your friends are playing?
If you are reading this article, odds are you have interest in the iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop PC that we are reviewing today. So let me give you the rundown of why you should or should not check out this gaming computer.
First thing’s first, why don’t we check out the specs of this computer?
- The iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop PC uses an AMD FX-6300 Six-Core processor. This processor is not exactly the newest thing on the market, but it is a competent one for its age.
- It also has the AMD RX 550 2GB graphics card, which is about what you would expect for a gaming console of its price. The iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop PC is not going to be playing the most demanding video games on the market, but there are still plenty of options. For example, you can get away with playing games like League of Legends or Dota 2 on it.
- If you are not able to play some of the more recent games on it (which let’s face it, you are not likely to), there is a veritable ton of games to choose from that have already come out. On top of the wide variety of options, you can likely get these old, excellent games for less money. A Steam account is the best friend of anyone getting into gaming for the first time.
- To store all these games that you end up buying, the iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop PC comes with a 1TB SATA III hard drive. This is standard these days, but it is still a solid size, especially with the games it will be playing.
This Computer is Not Without its Flaws
But not everything about this computer is peaches and gravy.
- One of the problems with the iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop PC is that it does not come included with a DVD drive. While this is not a deal killer for me – I almost never use the DVD drive in my own computer – it is an unfortunate limitation. Some people do still use the DVD drive, after all. Yet, that is unfortunately not the worst part of the computer.
- When it comes to determining a good computer, you have to look beyond numbers. After all, the computer may have a total of 8GB DDR3 RAM of memory, but that does not mean it optimizes it well at all. When I used the iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop PC, I found that it had some hiccups here and there. It runs loud, and is distracting for me when I am playing a video game. Further, and worse yet, I have had some problematic experiences with freezing at times. It is not constant, mind you, but it has happened more time than I am comfortable with having happening.
- Finally, the casing of the iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop PC PC AM8140A is abysmal. I mean, I get why people would like it, but I find the “sleek” design to be a horrible eyesore. And I will cop to the fact that the computer fills a niche. After all, it is only $500, which means that you should not expect to get too powerful a computer out of the deal. And heck, I have used MANY worse computers than this one. And trust me, some of them were not made by people generous enough to sell it for $500 or less.